Tuesday 9 September 2014

Culinary Biography

Sopressata Made by Me
My Culinary 
Biography:Kitchen Confessions

Welcome to the official culinary blog of Matthew Skinner, Chef Extraordinaire. In this blog we will be covering such topics as my personal culinary philosophy, why I want to be a chef,what I hope to gain from my experience, and also my industry experience. 

Sectioned Beef shows my background of Butchery
 Firstly, Here are a few pictures that describe my culinary philosophy and personality. 
Left to right: My Co-worker Carmine, Me, my boss Domenic Martelli at the butcher shop where I started off and still work.

Pizza I ate at a bakery in New York City.

The first three pictures show a little bit of where and how I got started in industry. I began working ( and still work part time) at a small Italian grocery/butcher shop. Similar to others I began cleaning up and slowly began to learn the trade. I can do many different things in butchery and was taught and mentored my boss Domenic Martelli, A real old school butcher direct from Italy. My favourite thing to do at work is to make various types of sausages and charcuterie. The picture of the pizza I ate in New York City is there to show simply two things. One being that Pizza is my favourite thing to eat, and two that my family is from Queens, New York and is Italian which contributed heavily to my culinary personality.

Now, you may find yourself asking, if he started as a butcher and is still a butcher, what is he doing in culinary school? Well the answer is very simple my fellow chefs. I simply love to work with food of all kinds. I have loved it since I was a child and it has always been a true passion of mine to know how to properly cook and to work my way up through the industry. After trying out other career options for a few years and being unhappy, I decided to chase my passion and here I am.

I decided on George Brown for my first culinary experience simply based on its outstanding reputation and so far it has surpassed my expectations. I know I will gain a lot of knowledge about the industry and about food specifically ( production etc.) I suppose I could say that is the number one thing I hope to gain from this experience is knowledge on the one thing in life I truly love. Enough knowledge so I am able to go out in the world and succeed in the culinary world as I've always dreamt I would. I believe with this gained knowledge and a lot of hard work it is definitely possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment